Tuesday 31 August 2010

When is a PHD not a PHD?

I’m not talking about the academic PhD here (aka Doctor of Philosophy). I’m talking about something I have a lot of experience with – my PHD refers to this:

Projects Half Done.

I have a lot of PHDs. I personally prefer PHDs to UFOs. As we know, a UFO is an Un-Finished Object. It’s a ‘glass half empty’ sort of description, don’t you think? I reckon we need to think more positively – be the ‘glass half full’ type of person. So from henceforth, my UFOs will no longer be UFOs. They will be PHDs.

So back to my question – when is a PHD not a PHD? When it is finished! Yay!!

Here is a PHD that has been sat on my desk for ages, waiting patiently for me to give it some love and attention. It is a zipaway tote – in Amy Butler fabrics.



The outer shell / base is Garden Maze in brown from Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern range. The body of the bag is Full Moon Polka Dot in Camel from Amy Butler’s Lotus range. The handles are a plain quilting cotton in brown.



I didn’t have quite enough of the Full Moon Polka Dot fabric for the facing so I used a strip of the Garden Maze.



I am off to tackle another PHD.
Have a great day, friends.

4 comments:

  1. I hate UFOs and PHDs - I'm a sort of WIP (work in progress) girl. I usually just have projects started that I'm actually working on because I get confused otherwise (and have no-where to put the PHDs!). So that means I generally have one sewing and one knitting or crochet project on the go at any one time.

    My To Do pile is slightly different (in my mind) - it's simply a project queue and it doesn't count as a PHD or WIP until I start sewing!

    See how I trick myself?! But that's how I think of it - project queue -> WIP -> finished object.

    Where I drive myself crazy are all the projects that I want to do that haven't made it to the To Do pile yet (usually because they're for me, not someone else!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - forgot to add - lovely zip away tote. The fabrics are very nice and I like the facing in a contrast fabric - it ties it all together with the outer shell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that bag, lovely use of Amy.
    And I love the acronym PHD....think I should award myself quite a few!
    But coming from down under, have you heard about a WOMBAT.
    Waste Of Money Brains And Time.
    Loads of wombats at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing a long awaited PHD! I have quite a few of them sitting around here.... just waiting on the motivation. I get too distracted by the next exciting project on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.