Thursday 13 January 2011

Best crafty/sewing buys of 2010

Last year I bought 2 things which I have decided are my top two crafty buys of 2010. The first one is this basting gun.



It made basting the layers of baby Jacob's quilted playmat together super easy and quick. OK - so you need a little patience removing the teeny weeny plastic tacks once you're done ... but it was worth it. Using it couldn't be simpler - you poke the needle through the layers and press the trigger.



You're left with the tack holding the layers together. I've found it really useful in my purse/pouch/bag-making too - especially in those fiddley corners. See the teeny black tack right by the end of the pink pen? This basting gun was fabulously useful when it came to pinning the zip and curved base to the sides of the zip-away tote.



The second item are these quilting gloves. They have little gluey dots all over the palm and fingers. They really made moving the fabric sandwich around under my sewing foot a lot easier. I felt like I was totally channeling Michael Jackson whilst machine-quilting my playmat! Haha!

*Postscript: Mr Crafty Ady laughed when he saw this and said he thought I was more likely channeling Mickey Mouse!



If I had to mention a third thing, it would be this amazing and tiny iron which I blogged about here.

What were your best crafty or sewing buys of 2010?

3 comments:

  1. 1. rotary cutter and self-healing cutting mat
    2. jean-a-ma-jig for sewing over bulky seams

    And then I bought lots of craft books - I'm setting myself the challenge of having made one thing from each of them by the end of this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. almost the same like fiona *gg*:

    1. my new big baby: 750E
    2. my amazing olfa rotary CIRCLE cutter. :)

    and lots of sew and embroidery books and magazines.

    i like your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Fiona - good buys! I have a self-healing mat and a rotary cutter too. And thank you for the jean-a-ma-jig you sent ... still trying to get the hang of using it. Can you do a tute??

    Hello Sewbeedoo! Welcome to my blog! Are you referring to the Brother Innovis 750e Embroidery Machine?!! Wow! Cool! And I have not heard of a circle cutter. Is it for paper or fabric?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.