Wednesday 7 March 2012

My Creative Space

The space is currently being occupied by another bookbinding project. Since my first handbound leather journal went so well, I decided to work on another. It's going to be the same size as the first journal I made a couple of weeks ago. This one is for a dear friend of mine who loves to travel. I found a world map poster and a vintage airmail stamps type of poster and cut pieces out to add to the cartridge paper signatures.



I bought myself a better awl for poking holes to guide my stitching. My old awl didn't have a nice bulbous handle like this little guy. It makes such a big difference having a decent handle on your awl. I thought I'd try to make a little pattern with the stitching on the spine. So I made these stitching card templates and marked out two different width stitching holes. I used these to make the holes in my paper signatures.



Then I used the templates to mark out where I wanted the stitching holes to go on the cover. I think this is going to be a rather pretty journal. The cover is a sueded leather in a deep magenta colour.



Once I get these holes poked out with my awl, I'm ready to start stitching the paper signatures into the spine.

Are you up to anything crafty this week?
Find out what other crafty folk are up to by dropping by the home of creative spaces here.

Have a creative day, friends.

7 comments:

  1. Goodness, that looks really clever. Your friend will love this.
    Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carmel. I promised to make her a journal well over a year ago and I am only just now getting around to doing it! I hope she likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this looks fab. What a lucky person your friend is! I am sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I think bookbinding is addictive. I've never tried leather (for lack of supplies, really). Yours are both great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pattern on the spine sounds really interesting. As a fellow Awl user I agree - I have that type and one with a smaller handle, but that one is my fav by far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this looks so intricate, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be amazing! Love the idea of adding the map pages to the signatures. Did you use any tutorial for your first go at bookbinding? Have I already asked you that?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.